Wednesday, January 21, 2009

3 Runs and a Cold Swim

Wednesday January 21, 2009

A few good quality workouts in the last two days. Following the lead of a person who will remain nameless, I'm trying to ramp up the run miles by adding in a couple two a days in the last two weeks. And man are they taxing on the old legs. Add KMA cycling class into the mix and well can you say trashed legs?! Yeah. It's going well though. I'm up to 86 miles for the month already.

Started off Tuesday with a noon swim at 24HR. All fired up for a 2500m swim, but when I got to the gym I found the heater was on the blink and the water temp was about 75*F. Chilly at best. Decided to give it a go anyway figuring I'd warm up as got going. Wrong... Never felt any sort of form and my 500's were a good 20-30 seconds slower than normal. Just kept getting tighter and tighter so bailed at 1800 and headed for the steam room to try and warm up. Hot tub was closed too!

After work I needed to sneak in a quick run before Kelsey's basketball game. Got in a 6 miler and felt really good. Pace is getting better and heart rate getting lower. 7:50 pace and 153 avg heart rate and really felt like I was running easy. Gotta love that.

Dragged myself out of bed this morning and did the same 6 mile loop on tired legs. Not nearly as good a run as Tuesday night but not terrible. 8:13 pace at 153 avg heart rate. Compared to 3 weeks ago, it's the same pace but 5-6 bpm lower heart rate. Just felt a bit tough.

Here's where the added running I hope helps... Got to the gym at noon and did 4 miles on the treadmill at a "treadmill 8:27 pace". Just cruised. Added some core work after the run and felt great once it was all over.

So I'm done for the day. Going to kick back tonight and watch LOST and recover for KMA tomorrow night.

The Stats...
  • Tuesday noon swim - 1800m 32:30
  • Tuesday PM run - 6 miles, 47:11, 7:50/mi, 153 avg HR (73% of max)
  • Wednesday AM run - 6 miles, 49:19, 8:13/mi, 153 avg HR
  • Wednesday Noon run - 4 miles, 34:00, 8:30/mi, no HR

No comments: