Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Snow Showers

I had the first run of the year in the snow this morning. Uh yeah, snow! Heading out the door at 5:30am and into fat wet snow flakes was actually pretty fun. It was still very dark out and it was snowing so hard that the silhouette of the snow showers in the street lights seemed surreal as I ran through the thousands of snow flakes lit by the orange glow.



Fortunately the ground temperature was still warm and the streets and sidewalks were only wet and not slick. The snow was accumulating on the grass and parked cars, but the streets were still clear. Only thing to watch out for were the big puddles! I only stepped in a couple of those as I splashed along. Wet shoes reminded me ever so briefly of those warm morning runs last summer when the humidity sucked all the sweat out of me and made my shoes squishy. The cold north wind and snow flakes hitting me in the face quickly chased those thoughts away.

It was a very enjoyable run and well worth getting out of bed for. I have a feeling that this will be the first of many runs in the snow this year. At least it won't be boring! I felt really good too. The strength work might be paying off already?!

Run Stats: 6 miles, 50:05 (8:18/mi), 151 avg HR

Noon Swim just to find/keep what little form I have at this time of year. Actually felt fairly decent and managed to keep each 500 under 8:30. However left shoulder (rotator cuff?) is a bit painful. Not sure where that's coming from. Perhaps all the different upper body exercises are causing some problems. Hopeful that will work itself out in the next couple weeks.

To finish up the day a full on leg workout with Roberto and the gang at ITS.

  • Warmup: jump rope, spiderman crawls, stretching
  • Kinetic bands-bag kicks (standing and prone) several sets
  • Station 1 - single leg squats - 3 sets of 10 holding 25 lb plate
  • Station 2 - weighted sled then tire down and back no rest between - 2 sets
  • Station 3 - lateral hurdle step over / squat under holding 25 lb plate
  • Station 4 - squats w/barbell overhead - 2 sets of 10
  • Station 5 - dumbbell squats - 3 sets of 10 - 30 lb dumbbell
  • Station 6 - back/hamstring extention - 2 sets of 10 holding 20 lb medicine ball
  • Cool down - 2 x 25 yard sprints, stretching










No comments: