Monday, February 9, 2009

Excellent Weekend

Okay the first weekend of training for Ironman Louisville is done. Week 1 of 30. I remember how fast these 30 weeks went by two years ago training for Wisconsin. Even though it sounds like a long time, those 30 weeks fly by.

Beautiful weekend in KC with Saturday temps around 70 degrees. Got out for the first outdoor ride of the season Saturday which is always a treat. No matter how many trainer rides, KMA workouts or flexband squats I do, the first time dealing with gravity and wind resistance is always a reality check on fitness levels. Did 3 loops around the Lakewood loop then added a short out and back to get in an even 20 miles. First couple loops were brutal but actually felt better on loop 3.

Sunday met another group in south KC for a long run. Great group of guys. But FAST! Ran way harder than a base phase long run is meant to be run. At least that's the way it felt. Probably the first time all winter I really felt bad on a long run. Not sure if it was from the Saturday ride or the hour massage leaving the legs heavy and tired. Still managed 12 miles at 7:43 pace. How my average heart rate was 150 I don't know.

Finished off the day and the weekend with yoga class at 24Hour and a burrito and a couple of margarita's with A and Brian and Angie.

1 comment:

Courtney Staton said...

I took the weather guy's warnings about saturday :35+ mph winds, eh?

I entered the training dungeon at 9:00am. at 12:30 I came up stairs to watch the wind whip trees around... only to realize there really wasnt wind, but a breeze, and that I wasted three and a half hours of my life in my basement watching reruns of America's Next Top Model. Not only did I miss an amazing morning (from what I've been told), but I am now dumber for seeing Tyra Banks and her cronies talk about was 'Fierceness' is.