Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Back to KMA

The high school basketball season is over so I have no more excuses for missing cycling class. It was a great season for the junior varsity as the girls went 18-4 and won their conference. Now it's back to work getting ready for Ironman Louisville and a few tune up races leading up to the A event.

Coach Greg re-introduced me to the rest of the class and I took a good bit of ribbing from some fellow KMAer's for being away. I haven't been totally slacking though trying to make up the workouts at home. Still, I wasn't sure going into last nights class how far behind I would be.

On tap, one of the toughest workouts we do, the main set consisted of 4 sets:
  • 20 minute build to 85% (get to 85% by minute 10)
  • 15 minutes 85% (get to 85% by minute 3)
  • 10 minutes at 90% (get to 90% by minute 3)
  • 5 minutes at 95% of max heart rate.

Hard stuff but also one of my favorite workouts. I prefer steady efforts to climbing or power.

Overall it went pretty good. I had run 4 miles on the 24HR treadmill over lunch and thought maybe the legs would be a little tired but I felt really fresh during the workout.