It's here already? Thirty weeks of training seems to go by faster and faster every year I do this. Surprising too because this year has been a real challenge to get the training in with the crazy weather all through the winter and spring. This year more than previous years just seemed to have more cold and rain on the weekends then I can remember.
The weekends of course being reserved for long rides and long runs were tough to get done. Nothing like riding 100 miles when it's 50 degrees, in a steady rain. But it had to be done so we did it. Matter of fact I really didn't miss too many scheduled workouts if you don't count the three days I missed in late May with a sore achilles.
Otherwise it's been fairly uneventful... Just slogging through the endless laps in the pool, hours on the bike either on the trainer or on the roads, and miles and miles running.
Again this year my training buddy Jared pulled me through some tough workouts and it's been really great training with him all year. You gain a tremendous amount of respect for someone who has worked so hard in the last couple of years improving as he has done with his running. He's going to crush it in CDA this year and could snag that Kona spot if things go well...
Other friends going, Hugh, the comic relief of our little triathlon team (Team Spleen as he refers to us... he's a doctor) is racing his 2nd CDA and with his crazy schedule was able to train with us the last month or so. He's a beast and will will no doubt have a great day. Hugh and I could actually finish side by side.
Shannon is attempting his first Ironman in CDA. He's coming off a few back surgery's but he's in good shape and had a great day in Kansas a couple weeks ago. Can't wait to see him cross the line and get his named called as an Ironman.
As for me I'm hoping to break 11 hours this year. I think there is a real good chance of that if everything goes as planned. Realistically I should be able to do this if I stick to my pacing and nutrition strategy. I learned a couple lessons in Louisville last year especially on the run that if I can correct this time around should get me in under eleven.
Although each course is different and pulling off another 5:37 bike split might be difficult on what's considered a tougher bike course then Louisville. And if I do, will I have enough left to run a sub 4 hour marathon? I guess we shall find out!
Bib Numbers for anyone who wants to follow us on www.ironman.com...
Tim Freeland- 1445
Jared Kuntz - 722
Hugh Ryan - 1032
Shannon Smith - 913
*
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Good luck! Have fun! I'll be sending good thoughts your way that day.
You are going to do fabulous love you sweetheart. A.
Best of luck gentlemen! I'll be pulling for all of you. Maybe after I pop this kid out, you'll let a girl train with you again. I know Hugh could always use some one the mess with during open water swims. :)
wheres that race recap, yo?
Post a Comment