Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Six and Sevens

Today's workout is straight from the Runner's World website. Needing a little change in routine to battle the cold and snowy winter we've had here in KC, I scanned over the video section of the site and stumbled across this workout and decided to give it a try today at the gym.

Although the sun was shining bright today, for the first time in I can't remember how long, it was still cold enough to require winter running stuff. I just didn't feel like messing with all that crap so I just tossed in the bare essentials for a treadmill run in my bag.

The workout breaks out like this...

15 minute warm up at an easy pace (8:34 or 7 mph was my setting at 1.0 incline)

Then 4 cycles of...
  • 90 seconds, 6% grade at marathon pace (8:00 pace or 7.5 mph)
  • 1 minute recovery at warm up pace
  • 60 seconds, 7% grade at marathon pace
  • 2 minutes recovery at warm up pace
  • Repeat

10 minute cool down at 8:34 pace same as warm up

The intervals were more difficult then I thought they would be. Ninety seconds is plenty at that grade and pace. Didn't have my heart rate monitor but I'm pretty sure I was close to threshold during the last couple of reps. Really pretty close to a hill sprint workout on the road.

Ended up at 5.25 miles at the end of the 45 minute run.

Per the Runner's World video, the goal is to build up to doing 10 cycles. Now that would be a tough workout!

*Two things to remember next time: heart rate monitor and WATER!

No comments: